Trying Glossier | Glossier Makeup First Impressions

by - December 06, 2017


I'm sure you've heard of the beauty brand Gossier, to be quite frank if you haven't I'd be pretty surprised. In fact, the founders are very involved in the beauty blogging world as that's pretty much how they started. They're based on natural beauty, enhancing what you have and giving life to your products, not "products breathing life into you" as they say. Glossier gets a lot of hype in the beauty blogging world so, naturally, I decided to put the brand to the test starting with their makeup line.

So, what's so appealing about Glossier? I guess I could name a few things off the top of my head immediately. They market themselves quite well, their packaging and graphic design team are on top of things, they're up to date with social media. Their website and social media accounts are enough to draw me in to be honest. But are the products themselves worth it? As mentioned before, their products are meant to give you an all natural look, but is it worth spending the amount of money it costs to get that all natural look the Glossier way?


(Right side of face without any makeup, left side of face with Glossier products)

Perfecting Skin Tint
They start the description for this product off with "In the land between bare skin and makeup makeup exists the imperceptible wash of color that is our Perfecting Skin Tint". Remember when I said they do a great job of marketing themselves? I ordered the Perfecting Skin Tint in medium, you might look at me and say I'm not a medium in anything and I'm here to tell you, well... you're right. However, their medium seemed like it would work best for yellow undertones and I feel like I made the right choice after trying it on. But that is something Glossier needs to work on, their shade range. They do say that this is an adjustable shade that should warm up to your skin, but I have a hard time believing everyone is going to find something that works for them out of a selection of only 5 colors. 

Anyway, let's talk about performance. I'm pleasantly surprised. We all know I'm a full beat and full coverage girl but sometimes we just want to be slightly polished, throw something on, and get out the house. This is actually that perfect product for me. I've been trying to find a complexion base to work like this for many moons now but everything I've tried has either been too much coverage, not enough coverage, or too time consuming to apply. This one's got the perfect amount of sheer coverage—sheer in a still evening the skin-tone out kind of way, not sheer in the "did I even put anything on?" kind of way. They also suggest applying this with your fingers, and after testing with both fingers, sponge, and brush, using the fingers is definitely the best application method for this base.


Stretch Concealer
The Stretch Concealer is different than any concealer I've ever used. It almost has a balm consistency, but to my surprise offers a good amount of coverage. Enough to cover my dark circles but not so much that you can tell I'm wearing any makeup. Hey, props to Glossier for really achieving that goal! I suppose that's supposed to be the whole point of their products. It seems you can even build this concealer up a bit for when you need a little extra coverage, I'd just say don't bet on being able to build it up to Tarte Shape Tape coverage. However, I was able to cover up a few scars I have around my chin and cheeks. I can see myself using this concealer a lot, to be honest. My under eyes look hydrated, whereas I usually have trouble with them looking more on the dry side.

Wowder 
Admittedly this is the product that made me pull in this haul in the first place and it's all because of my goddess and savior Jackie Aina. I'm really excited to try this powder out in my regular makeup routine to see how it holds up to a full face for myself. This powder claims to blur pores and use light-reflecting technology to keep you from looking flat, while still mattifying the face. My favorite part about this powder is that it didn't give any type of dusty appearance nor did it seem to stick to any dry patches on the face, which is one of the biggest things I look for in a good setting powder.

Cloud Paint
Glossier's Cloud Paint is almost infamous to me. I've wanted to get my hands on these and try them for the longest time and I'm glad I finally did. I may not talk about cream or liquid blushes often but
they are one of my favorite kinds of makeup products to try and use, and these Cloud Paints are something I'll more than likely be using very regularly. I bought the shades "Dusk", which seems like a beige nude, and "Beam" which I'd describe as a tangerine peach shade. I actually ended up mixing the two together to get a nice glowy peachy nude appearance.

Haloscope
I'd hoped that this would be my favorite of all the products I'd try but unfortunately I think I'm going to have to say it's my least favorite. Don't get me wrong, I don't not like the product. In fact, it looks beautiful with the whole Glossier look once you've pulled it all together. It really gives a natural dewy appearance to the skin. But we know me—I need a blinding glow. I wasn't expecting to get that from these highlight sticks but unfortunately, and probably a little naive of me, I was expecting a bit more of a visible highlight. The Haloscopes are more of a hydrated dewy sheen for the face.

Boy Brow 
I'm not the best candidate for the Boy Brow, arguably Glossier's most iconic makeup product. Boy brow is a colored brush-through brow pomade that's supposed to naturally enhance the appearance of your brows but the problem is... I don't have any brows. Well, I do, but not enough for me to feel comfortable using just a brush through brow product. So I guess I cheated a little, as I used my pencil to fill in my brow first. But upon using the Boy Brow to set everything in place I could see why anyone with fuller brows or at least a bit more brow than me would fall head over heels for this product. It gives a fluffier softer look to the brows and—I really just wish I had more eyebrows. I'd die to be able to get away with wearing something like this alone on my brows.

Generation G Lip + Lip Gloss
I actually bought these two as the duo anyway in the color "Leo", which is described as a warm cocoa brown. I didn't think I would like these as much as I do, in fact I'm putting them in my every day bag as I type. The lipstick is a sheer matte and gives you that blotted lip look, or just ate a popsicle lip look. Kind of like a liquid lip stain, but without the commitment. And the gloss is one of the highest shine glosses I own, without all of the tackiness and stickiness. The color it's self that I chose gives me mad 90s grunge vibes, which is something I dig pretty heavily. I wouldn't exactly call it a nude, at least not for my skin, but the combination is very wearable and flattering.


All in all I actually feel as though this has been a pretty successful haul. I haven't necessarily been unhappy with any of these products, outside of mild disappointments brought on by misunderstandings of what they were for or going to achieve, and a few of these I do feel as though I'm going to get regular use out of.


Is Glossier worth it? Well, I still have to try out the skincare, so as a brand all around? I'll get back to you on that. As for their makeup? If you like a really natural look and want products that make that look really simplified and easy to achieve I'd definitely say they're worth trying. If you're someone like me that loves a full beat but sometimes you just want to get out of the house, I'd say try a few products, maybe the ones for the features of your face you want to be your focus. As a whole I'm happy with this haul and I've had pretty good first impressions from Glossier. I'm hoping to try out as much of their skincare products as I can next so keep an eye out!

You May Also Like

0 comments

FOLLOW ME @MAKEUPATTIFFANYSXO